THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, August 17, 2008

From the Desk 8/16/2008

This morning I woke up and laid in bed until 11:45 when I finally forced myself to get up. It was relaxing just laying there watching TV and I didn't want to get up and do anything. I got up and showered, then answered some emails and checked to see if any good concerts were coming to town soon. There were a couple I would like to go see, but due to the cost of the tickets they would have to be missed. I watched some TV while eating a late lunch and then apparently wasn't done sleeping as I dozed off and on for about 2 hours.

I woke up for good around 4:00 and packed up the Wii system, controllers and games to take to Carmen's for the party tonight. I also received a text from Stacy letting me know that she wasn't going to make it tonight, but wishing us fun anyway. I left to head to Carmen's around 6:15 and along my way I saw them working on a new restaurant going up about 300 yards down from my apartments across from shopping center with Taco Mac. It was the new location for Ruth Criss Steakhouse and is supposed to open sometime in the late Fall. I was impressed by the size of the crane they were using and was curious as to how tall this restaurant was going to be. I made it to Carmen's just after 6:30 and I was the first of the group to arrive. I got a brief re-introduction to her husband, Mark, and her two daughters, Sarah and Matti. I was quickly labeled by Matti as, that guy that went to UT (with an accompanying lowering and shaking of the head in sympathy), but we got past that and she still played games with us throughout the night. Little did I know that other than Christina, no one else that was invited and said they were coming showed up. Tausha called and said she couldn't make it, Leslie and Brian called and weren't going to make it and Blair called later with the same news. It was a bit frustrating to plan something then have everyone back out the night of the party. I have decided that perhaps I won't plan anymore parties as when I do only 2-3 people show up. I'll leave the planning to others and hopefully when they plan get-togethers people will show up. It didn't keep us from having a good time though. Carmen had invited a couple from down the street to join us and we played Rock Band from 7:30 1:00am. Christina arrived around 10:00pm and we quickly got her acquainted with the bass guitar and drums on Rock Band. I had already rotated to cover every instrument at some point or another. I was most proficient on vocals and bass, but also scored very high on the drums and lead guitar. We took a short break from playing to watch Michael Phelps and the USA Men's Swim Team capture the gold in the 4 person relay race. It awarded Michael Phelps his 8th Olympic Medal of the games, which is the most by any one person in a single Olympics. He reached 2 milestones in this Olympics as not only did he win more in one Olympics than anyone else, but he also has won more gold medals in his career than any one athlete (14 Gold Medals). It was a moment that made you pause and feel a sense of pride for the country we live in and proud to be an American. After that we played a little more Rock Band until we realized that we were all very tired. We all said goodbye and I headed home after walking Christina to her car. (She didn't have far to drive as Carmen's neighborhood is located across from the entrance to Christina's apartments) I got home and crashed quickly into my bed to catch as much sleep as I could before picking Christina up for His Hands in the morning.

Meditation for the day: Psalm 13:5 " But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation"

0 comments: