THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, August 17, 2008

From the Desk 8/17/2008

I woke up and didn't feel too tired which surprised me seeing as how I only got 6 hours of sleep. I got ready for His Hands and ate some breakfast. I picked up Christina and we drove to His Hands. When the band took the platform and begin playing the worship songs for us to sing to, I thought I recognized the tune. In fact, I actually recognized almost every song they played today. They played "Everything About You" and "Face of Love" by Sanctus Real as well as one of the songs from "How Great Is Our God". The song that was played during the Lord's Supper was a beautiful version of "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" to the tune of the verses of "Amazing Grace". The message today focused on worries. The scripture was a long one; Matthew 6:25-34 which told us not to worry about food, clothing, or shelter because God feeds the birds and we are much more important to Him than they are. We also watched another God Moment video. They produce these videos that are basically testimonies from members of the church that cover a wide range of experiences. They have now been made available online at His Hands' website. The song we wrapped up with left me feeling alive and just glad that I don't worry about too much, but I can still worry about less if I put my whole trust in Him.

The service let out a little late so I dropped Christina off at work since she had to be there at noon. I went home to get some things done today (and not nap!) that I needed to do. I did some laundry, washed dishes, and pulled CD's over to my computer that I had received in the mail yesterday. I also updated the blog (didn't want to keep my avid readers waiting too long) and took out the trash, which had started to smell from the salmon skin. At 5:30 I made my way over to the Box to pick up Christina. We then met Leslie, Bill, and one of Christina's roommates, Laura, at Ihop for dinner.

We were seated and immediately creeped out by our overly friendly waiter, Ben. He seemed like the type of guy who plays World of War Craft for hours on end everyday. It took most of us no time at all to decide what we wanted to eat. I had been craving the Stuffed French Toast combo for about 2 days (ever since Christina invited me to go eat with them at Ihop), and Christina and Laura always get Stuffed French Toast. Ben came back to take our order and winced when Laura ordered her meal. They were out of the Stuffed French Toast, thereby altering half the tables choices. We quickly scrambled and made decisions. Laura and I substituted the Vive La French Toast meal, where Christina opted for the Country Fried Steak combo with strawberry pancakes.
We laughed and ate, though once the food arrived it got quiet and the laughin ceased until we were done eating. We parted ways and I took Christina back to my apartment to watch Club Dread, a comedy/horror movie. It always makes me laugh and Christina seemed to enjoy it too. After the movie was over we watched part of an episode of Mythbusters in which they were attempting to tenderize meat with explosives. It looked like fun, even if the science stuff got in the way. I noticed that both of us were yawning with increasing frequency so I decided it would be best for me to drive her home a little earlier than usual so we could both get needed sleep. Afterall, Christina's first day of classes for the Fall semester is tomorrow. So I drove her home and said goodnight then returned to my apartment where I went to sleep much earlier than usual. That's probably a good thing though.

Meditation for the day: Matthew 6:25-34 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

0 comments: